Our Umpire Development Prgram
Wyndham Netball Association has been running a unique program for many years now that has been working well to offer our players an opportunity to come and try umpiring.
Each Saturday of our Junior competition at 12:10pm we offer an Umpire's Clinic. A fun game is played and during this players take turns in umpiring.
You will start with the basics of umpiring beginning with blowing the whistle (usually the most daunting step), umpire areas of control and positioning. Rules are taught in a relaxed fun environment. The program works as a starting point so players can get confidence before having the responsibility of an actual game. There is no set amount of weeks as people progress individually.
The next step is stepping onto the court at competition starting off in the 11/U games. The learner umpire is fully supported by a senior umpire who is one to one with them. As confidence grows the senior umpire would back away to just being at the court.
All umpires are encouraged with their educational. The Rules of Netball & Foundation Course are both available online.
A small re numeration is paid as an umpire starts and increases with each accreditation.
Umpires are encouraged thru levels of Junior competition then moving onto a Senior competition where they are able to be tested for Badges.
Have you ever considered the benefits of becoming an umpire?
Umpiring provides you so much more than just the ability to officiate the rules of the game. It can make you feel:
There are many opportunities to become involved as an umpire in Netball, with clear pathways and support structures available for those aspiring to officiate at the highest level.
How to become an Umpire?
• Talk with our Umpires Supervisor Sue Barnes 0412 591 834
• Attend beginner training sessions run by WNA. For example: WNA Introduction to Umpiring Workshop.
• WNA provides mentors to support the beginner umpires through the first weeks of umpiring competition matches.
• New to umpiring, returning to umpire and existing, experienced umpires are all welcomed and needed to help our competition grow.
• Stay ahead of the play - so an infringement of the rules never escapes your attention
• Use a CLEAR, LOAD & SHARP WHISTLE - this will get ALL the players attention
• Get it right with the defenders by not penalising them unfairly for contact & obstruction. (Coaches and Players will love you for that!)
• Know how to use the advantage rule to keep a game flowing
• Have control of the game so players, coaches and spectators can all enjoy this wonderful game
• Above all have fun - Umpiring can be as rewarding, if not more then playing and coaching, so enjoy it